Among all of the debated topics when it comes to natural hair, good edge control appears to stir up the most controversy.
Edges refer to the small strands of hair that are around the “edges” of your hairline.
Some people choose to lay their edges flat, whereas others simply let them fly about without much care.
The term “my edges were snatched” has been used to describe everything from shocking moments to cute hairstyles. “You have no edges” or “your mom has no edges” could be used as insults!
Regardless of your opinion on the subject, however, there’s no denying that finding good edge control for natural hair can be difficult.
If you decide to try smoothing your edges, your hairstyle will have a sleek and sophisticated appearance that will definitely turn heads. It works especially well for the likes of frohawks, twas, bantu knots, and protective styles (ex. buns, updos, etc.).
To really pull off the appropriate look, you need to find a good edge control product for your hair. Luckily, we’ve done the hard work for you, and created a comprehensive list of the best edge control products for natural hair.
The Best Edge Control Products for Natural Hair
According to anecdotal evidence, many of the edge control products on the market just don’t seem work very well. To help you avoid making the wrong choice, we’ve created a list of the best edge control products for natural hair.
1. Eco Styling Gel with Olive Oil (All Hair Types)
- BEAUTY ENTERPRISES,
- Health and Beauty
Eco Styling Gel with olive oil is a multipurpose hair gel that will give you great hold. Based on anecdotal evidence, this styling gel doesn’t usually cause flakes. Plus, it’s an alcohol-free product.
2. Natural Honey And Shea Edge Tamer by Design Essentials
- DESIGNED FOR CURLY TO COILY TEXTURES- Specifically designed for 3A-4C hair textures, this moisturizing non-greasy gel formula delivers a long-lasting firm-hold and securely lays down the hairline and tames unruly flyaways without flaking, build-up, and sticky residue
- STYLING VERSATILITY WITH LONG LASTING HOLD- Gentle formula is safe for relaxed and natural hair textures, yet strong enough to provide a long-lasting firm hold. Apply to the hairline for a polished finish and restyle without the need to wash out until wash-day. A little bit goes a long way!
- ENRICHED WITH HONEY & SHEA BUTTER- Formulated with Honey for added nourishment and a luminous, natural sheen while Shea Butter provides moisture and restores hair health from the inside out. Alcohol-Free, Sulfate-Free and contains NO PARABENS, NO PARAFFIN, NO MINERAL OIL.
This product is fantastic for anyone with tightly curled hair or an overall coiled hair type. According to Design Essentials, this product works best for those with 3A-4C hair textures. The product formula includes avocado and almond oil. It offers plenty of shine, reliable hold, and all of your flyaways will be a thing of the past.
3. Creme Of Nature Perfect Edges
- Controls and holds down edges
- Moisturizes and gives Exotic Shine
- Perfect for relaxed and natural hair
The argan oil edging product from Creme of Nature, Perfect Edges from Morocco, provides long-lasting edge control. We’ve seen this product work for ladies with both natural hair and relaxed hair.
4. Treasured Temple Amla Oil-Infused Styling Edge Tamer
- Smooths edges with medium hold
- Infused with amla oil from India
- Non-greasy, flake free formula
This is a very light pomade styling gel, that will work on multiple hair types. It’s made with amla oil from the Indian gooseberry. Many women also use amla oil for hair growth, to prevent hair loss and mitigate rapidly graying hair. If your edges are frail or thinning, the Treasured Temple Amla Legend might be a good option.
5. Coconut Edge Glaze with Shea Butter by Eden BodyWorks
- Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea Control Edge Glaze
- No flakes, no stickiness, non-greasy
- Provides A Firm, Manageable Hold Along The Hairline And/or Hair Shaft To Preserve Desired Styles
This lightweight product is able to provide a firm hold that still remains manageable enough for styling. The formula’s blend of shea butter and coconut oil allows it to work without leading to dry or frizzy hair.
6. Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Paste by Curls
- Formulated with organic blueberry extract, argan oil (proven to encourage hair growth) mango, shea
- Use this super sculpting pomade to enhance, define and hold your curls.
- No sulfates, sillicones, parabens, artificial oils or colors
This is another great option that offers shine and a frizz-free experience. There are a few different variations available, including blueberry and passion fruit. Both options have the added bonus of smelling wonderful! The water-based organic product formulation doesn’t contain sulfates, silicons, or parabens.
7. Avlon The Science of Haircare, Keracare Edge Tamer
- Creates a silky-smooth touchable texture
- Helps prevent ends from reverting
- Gives a lasting hold
This edge tamer is completely colorless, and there’s no worry of flaking or greasiness. The hold will stand up throughout the course of the day without fail. The Keracare Edge Tamer was formulated to work on natural and relaxed hair.
8. Dr. Miracle’s Edge Holding Gel with Jojoba Oil
- Super hold formula
- Blended with jojoba oil
- Adds shine and conditions
This product, which is infused with wheat protein and jojoba oil, is a strong edge control edge. According to Dr. Miracle, it works well on natural, relaxed, and braided hair. They also recommend it for ladies with hair extensions or crochet braids.
With that, you should have a better understanding of which edge control products are actually worth your while. You might be surprised to find that there are so many good edge tamers on the market, but you have to remember that there are a lot of different types of hair out there!
Nothing is for everyone, but there’s likely at least one or two among the list above that should work well for your needs.