With so many hair dye choices on the market, it can be hard to find the right blue dye to meet your needs. And it gets even more complicated when you’re going from a dark base to blue.
To help you out, we’ve scoured the internet to bring you the top 5 best blue hair dyes for dark hair. One of these dyes is sure to give you the hair color results you’re looking for.
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Blue Hair Dyes for Dark Hair
- 2 1. Wella Color Charm PAINTS Semi-Permanent Hair Dye – Best True Blue Semi-Permanent Dye
- 3 2. L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color – Denim Blue – Best Blue Permanent Dye
- 3.1 What L’Oreal Paris Feria Denim Blue Looks Like
- 3.2 The Formula
- 3.3 How Long It Lasts
- 3.4 Usage Instructions for L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color
- 3.5 Pros and Cons Of L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color – Denim Blue
- 3.6 Customer Reviews for L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color
- 4 3. Manic Panic Rockabilly Blue Semi-Permanent Dye – Runner up for Best Blue Semi-permanent Dye
- 5 4. Garnier Nutrisse Intense Pure Indigo Permanent Dye – Runner Up for Best Permanent Dye
- 6 5. Got2b Metallic Permanent Hair Dye Blue Mercury – Honorable Mention
The Best Blue Hair Dyes for Dark Hair
We’ll not only give you a detailed review of each product, but we’ll also provide pros, cons, and user feedback from the curl girl community. At the end of this article, you’ll be able to pick the best blue hair dyes for your dark hair. Let’s get started!
1. Wella Color Charm PAINTS Semi-Permanent Hair Dye – Best True Blue Semi-Permanent Dye
Wella Color Charm is a popular line of hair toning and lightening products that’s been around for over 140 years. This innovative brand is passionate about creating coloring solutions for all hair types.
Wella Color Charm PAINTS in blue will give you a stunning navy blue mane. This product delivers the most noticeable results on lightened or naturally light hair.
But on darker browns, it’ll leave you with a deep navy blue highlight that’s most noticeable in bright light. Just be careful!
If your hair has yellow undertones, you may be left with a teal shade.
The PAINTS formula contains COLORINVENT Technology, which allows all shades to be safely mixed. This gentle cream dye doesn’t contain harmful ingredients like ammonia, parabens, or peroxide.
Instead, its highly pigmented formula clings to the outside of your hair and stains it for a temporary time period.
How Long It Lasts
Wella Color Charm PAINTS Semi-Permanent Hair Dye generally lasts for up to 20 washes. However, proper hair care, like avoiding heat and using color-safe products, can dramatically extend the life of your color.
Usage Instructions for Wella Color Charm PAINTS Dyes
For an outstanding color result, just follow these easy steps.
- Apply PAINTS to pre-lightened or natural hair. For the most even results, you should use a tinting brush and brush it on in small sections.
- Allow the color to process for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair well until the water runs almost clear.
- Style your hair as usual.
Pros and Cons Of Wella Color Charm PAINTS Semi-Permanent Hair Dye
Now that we’ve gone over the general details, it’s time to dive into some of the specific pros and cons of this hair dye. Use the below information to help determine if this is the right blue dye for you.
- The formula doesn’t contain harmful ingredients like ammonia, parabens, or peroxide.
- All shades can be combined with other shades to create unique color combinations.
- This dye comes in a resealable tube, so you can use what you need and save the rest for later.
- No developer needed–the dye is ready to use straight out of the tube.
- This dye gives you temporary color that doesn’t last long.
- If you aren’t careful, the highly pigmented formula can stain sinks, bathtubs, and counters.
Customer Reviews for Wella Color Charm PAINTS Dyes
PAINTS has over 2,000 reviews and a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Reviewers love how easy this dye is to use and that the colors are intermixable.
Most users can get a vibrant color that lasts longer than they expected.
While most reviews are positive, some reviewers have complaints about uneven color that doesn’t last long. It’s important to note that these negative comments are typical for semi-permanent dyes due to their temporary nature.
2. L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color – Denim Blue – Best Blue Permanent Dye
L’Oreal Paris Feria is one of the best-selling lines of permanent dyes. It features hair dyes in a variety of stunning colors. Permanent dyes, like Feria, penetrate your hair’s cuticles and deposit color pigment inside.
This produces a long-lasting color change that can survive many washes without fading.
What L’Oreal Paris Feria Denim Blue Looks Like
Downtown denim is a dusky shade of blue, reminiscent of its denim namesake. It adds a subtle blue sheen to dark brown hair and leaves lightened hair with a more pronounced indigo hue. The kit comes with a shimmer serum and conditioner for extra glossy locks.
Feria has exclusive ColourBooster Technology that delivers high-intensity color with triple the highlights. Like many permanent dyes, Feria contains peroxide.
While this means a brighter, longer-lasting color, it also means your hair may end up damaged if you don’t follow the directions closely.
How Long It Lasts
According to L’Oreal, this dye will last for 6-8 weeks or until your roots grow out. The shade is unlikely to fade completely on its own, being that it’s permanent.
The exact length of time your color lasts will depend on how you care for your color. Your results also depend on the condition of your hair and whether it’s been dyed before.
Usage Instructions for L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color
To get as vibrant a color change as possible, you’ll need to complete a specific series of steps in the right order. Here’s what you need to do:
- Pour the contents of the Shimmering Color Gel and Shimmer Serum into the Developer Creme bottle.
- Replace the flat cap and shake the bottle vigorously to mix.
- Remove the flat cap and twist on the application tip.
- Begin applying the dye onto your hair by squeezing the bottle. Your hair should be dry and unwashed. Ensure that all of your hair is covered.
- Secure your hair and cover it with a plastic cap.
- Set a timer for 25 minutes.
- When time is up, rinse your hair thoroughly until the water no longer looks blue.
- Follow up with an after-color treatment or conditioner.
- Style your hair as usual.
Pros and Cons Of L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color – Denim Blue
To give you a balanced look at this hair dye, we’ll dive into some of the pros and cons in the below list.
- You get multi-dimensional color that catches the eye.
- The color shows up and lasts long, even on dark hair.
- This dye kit comes with a shimmer-boosting conditioning treatment that seals and smooths your locks.
- Because of the peroxide, this dye can damage your hair if it’s misused or left on too long.
- L’Oreal doesn’t recommend this dye for use on hair that’s predominantly grey.
Customer Reviews for L’Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color
Approximately 18,000 online reviewers have rated this dye a 4.2 out of 5 stars. The customer reviews are mostly positive, with people raving about stunning color and gray coverage. The few dissatisfied customers state that the color doesn’t take on their hair or comes out the wrong shade.
3. Manic Panic Rockabilly Blue Semi-Permanent Dye – Runner up for Best Blue Semi-permanent Dye
Manic Panic is one of the most well-known and beloved brands of semi-permanent dyes on the market. This vegan, cruelty-free line offers dyes in a wide array of electric shades.
What Manic Panic Rockabilly Blue Looks Like
This shade of dye is a highly pigmented, brilliant blue. On light hair, you can expect a vivid, true-blue hue. On dark hair, it’ll give a subtle blue highlight that’s most noticeable in the sun or under bright lights.
This cream dye is highly pigmented and formulated without peroxide, ammonia, or other harmful ingredients.
Instead, Manic Panic has conditioning agents that hydrate and smooth your strands. Its gentle, vegan formula means it’s safe for all hair types and can be left on for hours without damaging your hair.
How Long It Lasts
You can expect this semi-permanent dye to last for 4-6 weeks on pre-lightened hair. The color will last longer on bleached or virgin hair. You can also lengthen the lifespan of your color by avoiding heat during processing, washing your hair less, and using color-safe products.
Usage instructions for Manic Panic Dye
Follow these steps for the best results when using Manic Panic dye:
- Wash your hair with a deep cleansing shampoo to remove any buildup or oils.
- Skip the conditioner and air or blow-dry your hair.
- Working in small sections, apply the dye to clean dry hair. Avoid getting dye on your scalp. Instead, start a half-inch from the scalp and work downwards.
- Saturate your hair thoroughly with the dye.
- Comb the dye through your hair until it starts to become frothy.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap. Leave it on for 30 minutes or longer. The longer you leave it on, the more intense your color will be.
- For more intense color, add heat with a hooded dryer or blow dryer.
- Rinse hair with cool or cold water until the water runs clear.
- Air dry or blow-dry your hair to see your final results.
Pros and Cons of Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Dye
Now we’d like to move on to the benefits and drawbacks of this dye. By the end, you’ll know if this is the right product for you.
- This dye is vegan and doesn’t contain harmful ingredients like PPD’s, resorcinol, ammonia, parabens, or phthalates.
- The gentle formula won’t damage your hair, even if you leave it on longer than 30 minutes.
- The cream dye is ready to go, straight from the container.
- The dyes can be mixed for custom colors.
- The gentle formula conditions as its colors and might leave your hair feeling better than it did before coloring.
- Your color may continue to bleed, even after the first few washes.
- Because semi-permanent dyes sit on the outer portion of the hair, they rinse away easily and can be messy. Color might transfer onto hats, bedding, and clothing in the weeks following application.
Customer Reviews For Manic Panic Dyes
1,366 online reviewers have rated this dye 4.2 out of 5 stars. Most customers are happy with the results and state that the dye gave them bold, long-lasting color.
They rave about the variety of vibrant shades and how healthy their hair feels after using them. Unsatisfied customers say the dye didn’t take on their hair or didn’t give them the color they expected.
4. Garnier Nutrisse Intense Pure Indigo Permanent Dye – Runner Up for Best Permanent Dye
Garnier Nutrisse is one of the most well-known lines of hair dyes available. And there’s a good reason it’s so prolific. Garnier Nutrisse comes in over 75 fade-defying shades. Their dyes are affordable, widely available, and easy to use.
Garnier Nutrisse dye kits come with everything you’ll need for salon-quality color, including:
- Coloring creme
- Fruit oil ampoule
- Nourishing conditioner
What Garnier Nutrisse Intense Pure Indigo Looks Like
This permanent dye transforms naturally dark hair with reflective, multidimensional blue tones.
It will give lighter brown hair a deep indigo hue. On darker hair, it’ll give your tresses an iridescent blue sheen that is most visible in bright light.
This cream dye is infused with hair-benefiting oils to nourish as it colors. This will leave your hair feeling just as good, if not better, than it did before dyeing it.
The non-drip formula also clings to your strands for even coverage. Garnier promises to transform even the darkest hair in just one application.
How Long It Lasts
Usage Instructions for Garnier Nutrisse Intense Permanent Dye
Here are the directions for using Garnier Nutrisse Permanent dye:
- Begin with dry, unwashed hair. Wrap a towel around your shoulders and put on gloves.
- Twist the top off of the applicator and add the color creme to the developer.
- Add the fruit oil concentrate and twist the applicator back onto the bottle.
- Cover the tip with your finger and shake well to combine.
- Apply the mixture to your roots and thoroughly saturate your hairline.
- Apply the remainder of the color through the mid-lengths and ends of your hair.
- Wait for 25-30 minutes, depending on the level of coverage you’re after.
- Rinse your hair with cool water until it starts to run clear.
- Follow up with the after-color conditioner, and let it sit for 2 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
- Towel dry and style your hair.
Pros and Cons of Garnier Nutrisse Intense Pure Indigo Permanent Dye
Now that we’ve examined the ins and outs of this dye, here are some benefits and drawbacks you should consider:
- This dye kit comes with a grapeseed fruit oil ampoule that you can mix directly into your mix for added damage protection.
- The non-drip creme formula is easy to apply.
- This dye contains peroxide, which can damage your hair.
- The longevity of this color varies greatly from user to user.
Customer reviews for Garnier Nutrisse Intense Dyes
10,723 online reviews have resulted in an impressive 4.5 out of 5-star rating. Most reviewers are impressed by how well the color holds up without fading.
The color comes out vibrant, even, and with full coverage. Unsatisfied customers say the dye didn’t color their hair or that it faded too quickly. Despite the negative critiques, most reviewers are more than happy with their results.
5. Got2b Metallic Permanent Hair Dye Blue Mercury – Honorable Mention
Got2b Metallic is a line of hair dyes inspired by edgy, metallic tones. Their dyes are easy to use, fade-defying, and highly pigmented. If you try Got2b, you’ll quickly see why they’ve become a staple in the at-home hair coloring community.
The dye kit comes with everything you’ll need for bold color results:
- Tube of color cream
- Application bottle with developer
- After-color treatment
What Got2b Metallic Blue Mercury Looks Like
Blue Mercury leaves your hair a deep royal blue with charcoal undertones. According to the color chart, the color is only slightly less pronounced on unbleached dark hair.
This dye is specifically for bleached or virgin hair. It is not recommended for hair that has been previously colored, as the results may be inconsistent.
Like many permanent dyes, Got2b metallic contains hair-lightening ammonium hydroxide and peroxide.
Although both ammonium hydroxide and peroxide enable the dye to transform even the darkest locks, your hair could end up damaged in the process. For hair that’s longer than shoulder length, you’ll need two boxes of Got2b Metallic.
How Long It Lasts
You can expect your color to remain vibrant for 6-8 weeks. As the color continues to fade, you can either recolor your mane or strip the remaining dye with a lightening treatment.
Usage Instructions for Got2b Metallic Permanent Hair Dye
Got2B permanent hair dye may be a bit difficult to use if it’s your first time. So, we’ve outlined the steps required to get an even color result.
- Prep the hairline before color application.
- Open the color creme tube and pour it into the developer bottle.
- Replace the cap, twist, and shake well to mix.
- Apply the mixture evenly for the roots to the ends of your hair.
- Massage the mixture into your locks.
- Let the dye sit for 30 minutes.
- Using warm water, work the color into a lather. Massage your hairline to lift any stains.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Apply the after-color treatment to towel-dried hair and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Rinse well.
- Dry and style as usual.
Pros and Cons of Got2b Metallic Permanent Hair Dye
Pros and cons are extremely telling – here’s the rundown on this dye.
- This dye can lighten unbleached virgin hair as it colors, which means you can skip the bleach.
- This highly pigmented dye gives you long-lasting color that defies fading.
- Your color may continue to bleed during washes.
- This dye contains both ammonium hydroxide and peroxide, both of which can damage your hair.
- Not recommended for hair that has been colored before.
Customer Reviews for Got2b Metallic Dyes
This dye has over 12,800 internet reviews and an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Customers appreciate the metallic inspiration behind the color and say their brilliant blue hues rake in the compliments.
Negative reviews say the dye didn’t take even after bleaching or resulted in a color that was more black than blue. Many reviewers stress the need to follow the directions closely.
- How to Neutralize Blue Hair
- How to Dye Dark Hair Blue Without Bleaching
- How to Get Blue Dye Out of Hair
- DIY Blue Toner for Orange Hair
These are our top picks for the best blue hair dyes for dark hair. We hope that one of the dyes we’ve covered in this article is precisely what you need to get the blue tresses you’re looking for. Good luck!
Kenneth Byrd holds a BS in Accounting and Management Information Systems and an MBA from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He is a serial hair blogger that has been writing about hair care since 2008, when he co-founded Curl Centric and Natural Hair Box. Curl Centric is a website operated by a husband and wife team that encourages healthy hair care.