In the pursuit of growing longer hair, you may have searched all over the internet looking for the ultimate hair growth hack.
Although, we’ll bet that most people haven’t heard about using chebe powder for hair growth.
Will chebe powder help you reach your ultimate hair growth goal?
If so, you’ll a step-by-step guide on how to use chebe powder for hair growth. This article will tell you everything you need to know about this interesting hair growth treatment.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Chebe Powder?
- 2 Chebe Powder Ingredients
- 3 Does Chebe Powder Increase Hair Growth?
- 4 Hair Growth Requires Time (and More Time)
- 5 Chebe Powder Increases Length Retention
- 6 How to Use Chebe Powder to Get Long Hair
- 7 How Often to Use Chebe Powder
- 8 Make Sure Your Powder is Genuine
- 9 Dos and Don’ts
- 10 Pros and Cons
- 11 Is Chebe Powder Worth It? Should You Try It?
What Is Chebe Powder?
Chebe powder (or Chébé Powder) is a blend of several herbs, including the chebe plant (shébé seeds from croton zambesicus), clove, samour resin (Benjoin Djaoui), cherry seeds, musk ambrette, vegetable oil, and prunus mahaleb.
The powder has been around for centuries and originated in Chad, which is located in Central Africa. Chadian women have used the powder as part of their hair care ritual for ages.
Women who use the powder grow incredibly long hair, and people in Western countries have taken notice. The powder can be used on all hair types but is most commonly used on type 3 curly hair (3A, 3B, 3C) and type 4 kinky hair (4A, 4B, 4C).
Chebe Powder Ingredients
Now that you know a little about chebe powder, let’s dive a little deeper into the ingredients.
Chebe powder’s formulation is not consistent across the board, and this is because various suppliers manufacture custom formulations of the powder.
However, the powder is typically made with a blend of the following ingredients:
- Prunus mahaleb
- Musk ambrette
- Vegetable Oil
Some brands of Chebe powder may contain other herbs that aren’t listed above, but the most important element in the powder, of course, is the blended chebe.
Does Chebe Powder Increase Hair Growth?
The most widespread promise concerning chebe powder is that it increases your hair growth.
Most people take this to mean that the powder will make your hair grow from your scalp faster. However, this is not the case.
When using chebe powder, it may seem like your hair is growing faster, when in reality, your hair is growing at the same rate that it usually does.
Hair Growth Requires Time (and More Time)
At one point or another, you may have looked for a hair growth miracle, something that you can apply to your hair to make it grow by leaps and bounds.
Hair growth requires time, but many different factors can determine your hair growth rate. It’s just that the most important factor is time.
Here are a few additional factors that influence your hair’s growth rate:
- Nutrition – Eating a well-balanced diet with enough fruits, vegetables, protein, and zinc ensures that your hair growth is maximized.
- Genetics – Your genes are a substantial determinant of how quickly your hair grows.
- Age – Starting at approximately age 30, people begin to see a diminished hair growth rate.
- Gender – Males grow hair faster than females in general due to testosterone.
Therefore, there aren’t any magical growth herbs or powders that can speed up your hair’s growth rate. According to the Trichological Society, vitamins, supplements, and hair products won’t increase your hair’s growth rate.
It’s important to understand that (on average) human hair grows about 1/2 inch a month or approximately six inches per year regardless of what you apply to your hair.
Chebe Powder Increases Length Retention
After reading the previous section, you may be thinking that there’s no point in using chebe powder. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
Chadian women who use this powder grow hair down to their hips or even longer and many believe that the powder is why.
Length retention is the key to achieving long hair, and chebe powder increases length retention by reducing split ends and hair breakage.
When your hair is truly healthy and strong, the ends will not break off as frequently as the hair grows, and you’ll be able to “retain” (or keep) more of your length.
This is truly the key to long hair, increasing your length retention to keep the hair you’ve grown.
How to Use Chebe Powder to Get Long Hair
Chebe powder gives your hair the nutrients and moisture that it needs to be healthy. The powder locks in moisture to help you retain length.
To reap the benefits of chebe powder, it’s essential to use the powder correctly. In this section, you’ll learn exactly how to use chebe powder to get long hair.
Prepare Your Hair
Chebe powder should be applied to clean, damp hair. If your hair is wet or dry, this treatment may not be as effective.
Wash your hair very thoroughly so that there is no buildup on your strands.
We recommend using a shampoo that does not have sulfates. A sulfate-free cleanser will get your hair clean without stripping it of all its natural moisture.
After washing your hair, tie a microfiber towel or t-shirt around your head before you go to mix up your chebe powder.
Gather Your Ingredients
To make the length retention treatment, you will need to gather the following supplies:
- Chebe powder
- Essential Oil of your choice (olive oil and coconut oil are used widely)
- Two bowls
- A teaspoon
- Heating apparatus (microwave)
Once you have all of your supplies, you’re ready to start mixing!
Mix the Powder
Mixing chebe powder is very easy. Take the following steps to get your mixture ready in just a few minutes.
- Measure four heaping teaspoonfuls of chebe powder and put it into one of the bowls.
- Add three teaspoons of coconut oil and five teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil to the second bowl. If you chose different essential oils, feel free to use them during this step.
- Put the oil mixture in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. This will melt the coconut oil and make it easy to mix with the powder.
- Pour the oil into the bowl with the powder.
- Mix all of the ingredients with a spoon. Be careful to stir down to the bottom of the bowl, as the powder may settle.
The powder should have the consistency of runny applesauce. If the mixture is too thick, add more olive oil or coconut oil. If it is too thin, add more powder.
Once the ingredients appear to be thoroughly mixed, and the mixture is the right consistency, you’re ready to apply it to your hair.
Apply the Mix to Your Hair
Your hair is clean, the chebe powder has been mixed with the oils, and now you’re ready to apply the mixture to your hair.
Take the following steps for thorough application:
- Gently detangle your hair. Using a wide-toothed comb or your fingers, gently detangle your hair so that you won’t have any trouble distributing the mixture through your strands.
- Section and braid or band your hair. Depending on the amount of hair you have, you may benefit from sectioning your hair into two or more sections. This will help to ensure that you get the mixture on all of your hair. Braid or band your sections to keep them separate.
- Begin application. Apply the mixture to a section of your hair, focusing especially on the ends, as they are the weakest portion of the hair. Ensure that all of the hair in the section is covered, but avoid getting the powder on your scalp.
- Braid the section. Immediately after applying the powder, three-strand-plait (braid) your hair down to the ends.
- Repeat the above steps for all of the other sections.
- Wet your braids with water one last time.
- Cover your hair up. Use a conditioning cap, or a plastic bag, to cover up your hair. This will trap the heat from your scalp and increase the moisturizing properties of the powder.
- Allow the mixture to permeate your hair strands for as long as you want, but you should leave it on for at least 2 hours. Chadian women don’t rinse out the mixture.
- Rinse the powder out when you’re ready.
How Often to Use Chebe Powder
You can use chebe powder as often as you want. Chadian women do a chebe powder treatment twice per week for maximum length retention.
If you have time, you can do treatments at that same frequency. Otherwise, you can do the treatment less often, like once or twice a month, and still get positive results and increased length retention.
Make Sure Your Powder is Genuine
Unfortunately, not all chebe powder that is sold online, or even in person, is genuine. Therefore, it is imperative to check your powder for consistency before applying it to your hair.
- Look at the powder. It should be a very dark brown with white specks throughout. If your chebe powder does not look like this, it may not be genuine.
- Feel the powder. The powder should not feel like a typical powder. Chebe powder should be very grainy. If your powder feels smooth, it may not be real.
- Smell the powder. Authentic chebe powder smells a bit like coffee. If your powder does not have this scent, you may need to return it and continue searching for real chebe powder.
The Sahel Cosmetics brand of chebe powder has been widely used and is believed to be 100% genuine.
Dos and Don’ts
Doing a chebe powder treatment is generally easy, but there is still room for mistakes. To avoid any headaches, read about the following do’s and don’ts before trying chebe powder:
- Leave the powder on your hair for at least 2 hours. In order for the powder to do its work, it needs to be in contact with your hair for at least a couple of hours. Ensure that you have enough time to complete a full treatment before applying the chebe powder.
- Tie your hair up securely when doing an overnight treatment. If you don’t cover up your hair after applying the powder, you will have a sandy mess all over your bed, furniture, and floor.
- Detangle your hair before applying the powder. Trying to evenly apply chebe powder to tangled hair could be a painful and frustrating process.
- Don’t apply the powder to your scalp. Chebe powder was not designed to be applied to the scalp. Some mistakenly apply the powder to their scalp and experience dandruff and other types of scalp irritation. Others put it on their scalp without any problems, but it is not recommended to put it on your scalp.
- Don’t apply the powder to dirty hair. If your hair is dirty and/or full of buildup, the powder may not be effective. Wash your hair before you apply chebe powder.
Pros and Cons
Before you try a chebe powder treatment, it’s good to know all of the advantages and disadvantages. This way, you’ll be able to make an informed decision about whether this length retention method may be a good fit for you.
Chebe powder is great for length retention, but that’s not its only benefit. We will go over the other benefits in this section.
The moisture retention properties of chebe powder are a key benefit. Mixing the powder with carrier oils, like coconut oil and olive oil, gives the hair a substantial dose of moisture. Upon rinsing out the powder, many women state that their hair feels deeply hydrated.
With consistent use of chebe powder, users report that their hair feels softer than ever. This is likely due to the moisturizing effect of using the powder.
For those with tightly coiled hair, detangling can be a time-consuming process. Detangling parched hair is even more difficult.
After a chebe powder treatment, the hair will be healthier and more pliable, making the detangling process more comfortable and less time-consuming.
Many praise chebe powder for its many benefits, but the treatment does have a few disadvantages. Let’s get into all of them here.
Ingredients Can be Costly
While chebe powder is not the most expensive powder in the world, it is not exactly cheap. For a 250g (8 oz) bag of the powder, expect to pay around $25.00. You’ll also need to buy the oils to mix with the powder.
Application is Messy
When applying the mixture to your hair, it will get everywhere. The mixture has an oily, sandy consistency once it has been mixed, and it can be difficult to clean up.
Difficult to Rinse Out
Perhaps the biggest disadvantage to using chebe powder is that it is notoriously difficult to rinse out of your hair.
You can rinse your hair for a half-hour and still not get it all out of your hair. Some get so tired of rinsing the mixture out that they give up and leave the chebe powder remnants in their hair.
Is Chebe Powder Worth It? Should You Try It?
If you’re dealing with dry hair or breakage and it seems like your hair is not growing, chebe powder is a product that’s worth a try.
It will strengthen your hair strands and decrease breakage so that you can retain more length (i.e., grow longer hair).
If you want to try this length retention treatment, feel free to buy the supplies and follow the instructions detailed within this article to see its effect on your hair. Also, click here for more information and content focused on hair growth.