Defining your natural curls can be a breeze with the right hair diffuser. It’s a hair dryer attachment that can reduce frizz, maintain your curls’ natural shape, and infuse your mane with volume.
In this article, we’re shining the spotlight on 4 top rated hair diffusers, focusing on their key features, usage instructions, pros and cons, reviews, and more.
Whether you’re new to curly hair care and styling or just looking to upgrade your tools, this guide will help you choose the best diffuser for your needs.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Diffuser for Curly Hair
- 2 1. Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser
- 3 2. Ulico Universal Hair Diffuser
- 4 3. DevaCurl DevaFuser
- 5 4. Conair Volumizing Hair Diffuser
Best Diffuser for Curly Hair
We confidently recommend the Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser as the best diffuser for curly hair. It offers a range of key features, such as its large size catering specifically to big, naturally curly hair, smart manufacturing to protect hair from concentrated heat damage, lockable buttons for secure attachment, and high-quality materials.
1. Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser
Need a basic universal diffuser attachment without all the frills? The Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser Attachment is a great one to consider. It’s got all the basics covered and functions just like a diffuser should.
The Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser is designed to help you bring out the full potential in your natural curls. Here are a few features that make it stand out amongst other diffusers of its kind:
- Size: This is a large diffuser designed to cater specifically to big, naturally curly hair.
- Smart manufacturing: It is designed to disperse the harsh heat from your blow dryer, replacing it with dozens of gentle streams of air. This innovative design helps protect your hair from the damage of concentrated heat, reduces frizz, and drastically reduces your drying time.
- Lockable buttons: The Hairizone diffuser is designed with flexible lockable buttons. So, you won’t have to worry about the dryer falling off mid-diffusing session.
- Sleek and attractive design: It also showcases a sleek, smooth, non-bulky design with a glossy finish that adds a touch of elegance to your hairstyling tools.
- High-quality materials: This diffuser is made from a very high-quality PC material. Not only is the material known for its resistance to water and fire, but it’s also durable and environmentally friendly. You’ll also love that the diffuser won’t give off any offensive smells.
How to Use
Using the Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser Attachment is extremely easy. It is a universal diffuser designed to fit more than 90% of hair dryers you’ll find on the market. Still, the first step is to ensure that it’s compatible with your hair dryer – it fits nozzle diameters ranging from 1.7 inches to 2.6 inches.
Once you’ve confirmed the fit, simply attach the diffuser attachment to your hair dryer using the lockable buttons. Then turn on your dryer and get to diffusing. Remember to use a heat protectant before blow-drying to guard against thermal damage.
Pros and Cons
Every product has benefits and drawbacks. Here are the pros and cons to consider with the Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser.
- Universal design: Compatible with 90% of hair dryers.
- Thoughtful materials: Made from high-quality, durable, and safe PC material.
- Protection: Protects hair from concentrated heat damage because of its diffusing technology.
- Reduces frizz for longer lasting wash n go’s and better overall hair styling results.
- Security: Lockable buttons for security and ease of use.
- Personalization: Comes in various color combinations.
- Fit: Not suitable for hair dryers with nozzles outside the 1.7 to 2.6-inch range.
- Pricey: On the pricier side, at $25 for one.
The Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser Attachment has received stellar online. With over 11,000 ratings, it’s clear that this product is a favorite among consumers. An impressive 69% of reviewers have given this product a full 5 out of 5 stars, praising its functionality and ease of use.
Those who didn’t love the hair diffuser mentioned that it made their hair frizzy, didn’t stay on their hair dryer, or fell apart prematurely. The vast majority of people loved their diffuser, though, so chances are you won’t experience these issues.
Should You Try It?
If you have naturally curly hair and want to fully embrace your curls, the Hairizone Universal Hair Diffuser Attachment could be a great addition to your product arsenal.
Its thoughtful design and benefits make it an excellent choice for most. However, if your hair dryer’s nozzle falls outside of the 1.7 to 2.6-inch range, you’ll need to go with another diffuser.
2. Ulico Universal Hair Diffuser
For those who want a little more out of their diffuser, here’s one you shouldn’t pass up. The Ulico Universal Hair Diffuser Attachment is a haircare essential that’s gaining popularity in the natural hair community.
It stands a cut above other diffusers because of its stylish and thoughtful design. It helps to enhance your hair’s natural curl and texture, reduce your hair’s drying time, and give you more styling versatility.
The Ulico diffuser boasts an interesting design featuring a honeycomb element outlet. It ensures that you’re getting consistent airflow with no hot spots. It not only saves on drying time but also prevents hair damage due to concentrated heat.
In terms of its construction, the Ulico diffuser doesn’t disappoint.
It is made of nylon and PC, which are both safe and odorless. But that’s not all.
These materials are also resistant to high temperatures and premature wear, making the diffuser last much longer than you’d think.
When it comes to the “universal” aspect of this diffuse, it’s got a rotary design and a handy lock button. It’s designed to fit hair dryers with nozzle diameters ranging from 1.4 – 2.6 inches. More than 90% of dryers you’ll come across will fit within this nozzle diameter range.
How to Use
Using the Ulico Universal Hair Diffuser Attachment is a breeze. To get a good fit, you’ll start by rotating the base of the diffuser until you can’t anymore. Stick your hair dryer nozzle into the diffuser base about 1 inch. Then, push the lock button on the diffuser, and you’re ready to go!
Pros and Cons
This diffuser has a lot going for it, but it’s not perfect. Keep reading to learn about the pros and cons associated with it.
- Universal: Universal design compatible with 90% of hair dryers.
- High quality materials: Made from high-quality, durable, and safe materials.
- Smart design: Honeycomb element outlet for uniform heat distribution.
- Quick drying: Reduces frizz and drying time.
- Free gift: Comes with a cute cat ear hair band, making it a great gift.
- Size: Will not fit hair dryers with nozzles outside the 1.4 to 2.6-inch range.
- Cleaning difficulties: Some may find the diffuser difficult to clean.
- Affordable: You can get this diffuser home for less than $20.
The Ulico Universal Hair Diffuser Attachment has garnered a commendable online. Those who don’t like the diffuser state that it is too large for transportation and storage and doesn’t last as long as they expected.
Should You Try It?
If you’re looking for a large diffuser that has a good locking mechanism, Ulico Universal Hair Diffuser Attachment could be the solution you’re looking for. It’s a solid diffuser for the average curly person’s diffusing needs and has some bells and whistles that make the hair drying process easier.
On top of that, you won’t have to come out of pocket for a lot of money – it’s priced fairly. If you like the sound of all of that, this diffuser is a good fit for you.
3. DevaCurl DevaFuser
Are you and DevaCurl already besties? Then, the Devacurl DevaFuser is a diffuser that you should definitely consider. It’s made specifically to be used with DevaCurl hair dryers and is designed with curly girls in mind.
The DevaCurl DevaFuser Attachment is a patented product that give natural curls a boost during the drying process. It promotes the natural shape of your curls, enhancing definition and volume simultaneously. It’s an excellent tool for anyone who wants to make their curls stand out in all their glory.
The DevaCurl DevaFuser is all about enhancing your curls. It focuses on three key areas:
- Curl-Enhancement: The DevaFuser’s design dries your curls without disrupting your curl pattern. It also coaxes out your texture to a higher degree than is possible with a regular hair dryer.
- Frizz-Reduction: Frizz can often disrupt your natural curl pattern. The DevaFuser works to minimize this by reducing the ferocity of your dryer’s air stream. It’ll leave your curls looking frizz-free and refined.
- Volume: The DevaFuser isn’t just about enhancing and defining; it’s also about adding volume. It’s designed to give your hair that extra lift, making your curls look fuller and more voluminous.
Note on fit: The DevaFuser’s unique design fits hair dryers with a barrel diameter of 2″ – 2 ½”, a barrel circumference of 5½” – 6 ½”, and a barrel length of 2 ½” – 6 ½”. If your blow dryer doesn’t fit into these parameters, the diffuser attachment may fall off repeatedly, resulting in a frustrating diffusing session.
How to Use
Using the DevaCurl DevaFuser attachment is a straightforward process:
- Stick your blow dryer nozzle into the end of the DevaFuser and turn it on.
- Set your blow dryer to either medium or low heat. Not only will this protect your hair, but it will also preserve the material of the diffuser.
- Begin diffusing your roots first.
- Once the roots are dry, pool the mid-lengths and ends of your curls into the diffuser attachment.
- Push the diffuser upward toward your head and hold it still to dry your curls with volume and minimize frizz.
Pros and Cons
Now, to get to the pros and cons of the diffuser – here’s what you need to know.
- For Curls: Specifically designed to enhance curly and wavy hair textures.
- Fights the poof: Reduces frizz in hair that’s prone to it.
- For Fine and Thin Hair: The diffuser adds volume to height-challenged curls.
- Easy to use: All you need to do is pop the diffuser on your blow dryer and get to diffusing.
- Won’t fit many dryers: Not as universal as other diffusers – your blow dryer will have to fit within strict parameters.
- Expensive: As of the time of this writing, this diffuser costs $48.
Those who love the diffuser state that this diffuser gives them amazing curls with minimal frizz and lots of bounce. They also state that it’s easy to use and is a good accompaniment to their DevaCurl hair dryer. Those who aren’t too happy with it have mentioned that it didn’t fit their dryer and doesn’t stay on.
Should You Try It?
The DevaCurl DevaFuser Attachment could be a great addition to your haircare routine if:
- You have a DevaCurl hair dryer that fits the strict size parameters listed above.
- You want a diffuser that’s designed specifically for curls.
- You have enough money to afford it.
4. Conair Volumizing Hair Diffuser
Want a hair diffuser that’s trusted by countless naturals? Conair, the award-winning hair product company that’s been around since the 50s, created a universal diffuser with a super low price tag and everything you need for gorgeous curls. It’s the Conair Volumizing Hair Diffuser. Keep reading to learn more about it.
The Conair Volumizing Hair Diffuser is a versatile hair tool designed to reduce hair drying time and add volume to your hair. This product is suitable for all hair types, including colored, permed, relaxed, or natural hair, making it a great fit for virtually everyone.
The standout feature of the Conair Volumizing Hair Diffuser is its volumizing ability. This diffuser lifts and dries your hair simultaneously to keep flat roots away and give you big hair that makes a statement.
At the same time, you won’t have to deal with the heat damage often associated with blow-drying without such an attachment.
Moreover, the Conair diffuser maintains curls and waves without creating any unwanted frizz. That way, you can rest assured that your curls will remain smooth and put together (to an extent, of course).
The universal design of this diffuser further increases its appeal; you can attach it to virtually any hair dryer. As for Conair dryers, they will fit the following models: 3Q, 070NP, 209BCN/BCX, 223RX/AMX, 225RX/AMR, 229N, 247VHN, 256N/ANR, 259 (all colors), 261N, 294 (all colors), 359N, 650/R, and 750/N.
How to Use
To use the Conair Volumizing Hair Diffuser, pop it on top of the nozzle of your hair dryer. After attaching it, you’re ready to start diffusing – set your hair dryer to low or medium heat and go to town!
Pros and Cons
Want to know the good, bad, and ugly of this diffuser? Keep reading for the pros and cons – we won’t leave anything out.
- More volume: Volumizing diffuser that reduces hair drying time.
- Can be used on curls: Suitable for all hair types, including colored, permed, relaxed, or natural hair.
- Universal design: Fits most hair dryers and many Conair Models
- Quick drying with no frizz: Keeps frizz under control while speeding up your drying time.
- Low price: As of the time of this writing, the dryer costs just approximately $12.99 at various online retailers.
- Fit: Though the diffuser is advertised as universal, that’s not actually the case. It won’t fit all dryers. It will fit most, but some who buy it will definitely be disappointed.
- Basic design: Some users may prefer a diffuser with more specialized features.
The happiest customers state that the diffuser does the job as they expected it would and fits their dryer like a glove. On the other hand, some state that the diffuser either doesn’t fit or doesn’t stay on the dryer.
Should You Try It?
The Conair Volumizing Hair Diffuser is a great diffuser that’ll give your curls lift and combat frizz throughout the drying process. And since it’s designed for all hair types, including natural hair, there are no worries there.
If you’re thinking about trying a diffuser but don’t want to make an astronomical investment, this one by Conair may just be your new holy grail tool.
Just remember that if your hair dryer model isn’t among the specified Conair Models we mentioned earlier, you might want to double-check compatibility before purchasing. Overall, given its high customer rating, solid design, and affordable price, the Conair Volumizing Hair Diffuser is certainly worth a try.
- Best Blow Dryer for Black Natural Hair
- How to Diffuse Curly Hair
- Best Way to Dry Curly Hair
- How to Blow Dry Curly Hair
So, there you have it – 4 of the top diffusers for curly hair. We hope that one of the diffusers in this article is the perfect fit for your hair care needs. We wish you the best as you select the right tools for your natural hair.
Kenneth Byrd holds a BS in Accounting and Management Information Systems and an MBA from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. With over 15 years of experience, Kenneth has been dedicated to hair care since 2008, when he co-founded Curl Centric® and Natural Hair Box alongside his wife. As a team, they promote healthy hair care practices through their comprehensive platform, Curl Centric. Curl Centric is a website operated by a husband and wife team that encourages healthy hair care. At Curl Centric, we aim to help our readers take control of their hair care journey and make good decisions about products, hairstyles, and maintenance techniques. We also have strict editorial integrity; here’s an explanation of our editorial guidelines and how we make money.