Your dreadlocks are an extension of you, so chances are you wouldn’t dream of doing anything to harm them. That’s why you have to be super selective with how you handle them, especially when doing something as involved as changing their hue.
Before dyeing your locs, one of the best things to do is choose the best possible hair color you can get your hands on. In this article, we’ll share with you some of the highest-quality hair dyes for colored dreadlocks and help you choose your next dread color! Let’s get right into it!
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Hair Color for Dreadlocks
- 2 1. Creme of Nature Moisture Rich Hair Color
- 3 2. Clairol Natural Instincts Demi-Permanent Hair Dye
- 4 3. Clairol Textures and Tones Permanent Hair Color
Best Hair Color for Dreadlocks
The best hair color for dreadlocks is Creme of Nature Moisture Rich Hair Color Kit, Vivid Red, for its nourishing formula, argan oil enhancement, and gentleness on your hair strands. In the next section, we’ll delve deeper into the details of the Creme of Nature Moisture Rich Hair Color Kit and other great options for colored hair.
Selecting a hair color for your locs can be a daunting task, given the numerous hair color ideas you have to choose from. To help you out with your decision, here are some of the absolute best hair dyes for dreadlocks:
1. Creme of Nature Moisture Rich Hair Color
Creme of Nature Moisture Rich Hair Color is an outstanding box dye that many loc queens and kings have tried and loved. The formula is made of lots of natural ingredients that nourish the hair throughout the coloring process.
Don’t be fooled because any natural hair dye that lifts your natural pigment out of your hair strands will inflict some degree of damage, but the amount of hair shaft damage is minimized with this specific hair dye.
Benefits of Creme of Nature Moisture Rich Hair Color for Dreadlocks
This dye is on our list because it beats out loads of competitors; that’s evident from the product’s reviews all across the internet and based on our firsthand experience.
After trying out this product, we completely understand why people love this hair dye:
- The kit comes with absolutely everything you need for a dye transformation, from the developer to the hair color to the after-color conditioner. The pictures below show examples of the box and the contents within the packaging.
- The color is specifically made for people with natural hair, which includes people who’ve locked their hair. So, it works great for people with dark hair and gray hair strands.
- The line features nourishing argan oil to give the hair a nice shine post-coloring. This is extremely important for those with dreads since locs are prone to dullness.
- The dye is ammonia-free and gentler on the hair than ammonia-containing dyes.
The back of the box includes the following information:
- Rich Color: Formulated with a combination of specially blended dyes, conditioners, and polymers, Creme of Nature’s ammonia-free liquid hair color delivers multi-dimensional color from root to tip, plus 100% gray coverage.
- Maximum Conditioning: Infused with nourishing silk proteins that penetrate every strand so that your dreads look healthy and in better condition than before you colored your locs.
- Shea Butter Conditioning Power: The ultra-moisturizing conditioner, infused with certified natural mango and shea butter, helps to deeply nourish your hair, leaving it feeling soft, smooth, and healthy looking.
- Creme Color Developer: Aqua/Water/Eau, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Steareth-10 Allyl Ether/Acrylates Copolymer, Amodimethicone, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, C11-15 Pareth-7, Laureth-9, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Disodium Phosphate, Phosphoric Acid, Methylparaben, EDTA.
- Permanent Liquid Hair Color: Aqua/Water/Eau, Ethanolamine, Oleic Acid, Isopropyl Alcohol, PEG-2 Soyamine, Lauramide MEA, Lauryl Pyrrolidone, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Sulfite, 1-Hydroxyethyl 4,5-Diamino Pyrazole Sulfate, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytoluene, Wheat Amino Acids, p-Aminophenol, Erythorbic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol HCl, Resorcinol, Potassium Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Collagen, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Buteth-3, Sodium Benzotriazolyl Butylphenol Sulfonate, Tributyl Citrate, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Citronellol, Geraniol, Coumarin, Amyl Cinnamal.
- Mango & Shea Butter Ultra-Moisturizing Conditioner: Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Cera Alba (Beeswax (Cire D’abeille)), Hydrolyzed Silk, Silk Amino Acids, Citric Acid, Isopropyl Alcohol, Parfum (Fragrance), Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 4 (CI 14700).
Our Final Thoughts
Our analysis of Creme of Nature’s moisture-rich hair color revealed that it’s an exceptional choice for those seeking to enhance their dreadlocks while continuing to encourage healthy hair growth.
Its formulation, a harmonious blend of natural ingredients, strikes an optimal balance between natural color vibrancy and hair nourishment, an assurance reflected in its commendable reviews across the internet.
The in-box inclusion of a 30-volume cream color developer, an ammonia-free colorant, and a moisture-rich conditioner with mango and shea butter is a testament to the thoughtfulness and expertise of the manufacturer to avoid overly harsh chemicals.
Through our practical knowledge, Creme of Nature Moisture Rich Hair Color offers an unparalleled color transformation experience, blending performance, user satisfaction, and hair health in a way that few hair dyes can parallel.
2. Clairol Natural Instincts Demi-Permanent Hair Dye
Clairol shook things up when they came out with their Natural Instincts demi-permanent hair dye. It’s made of 80% naturally derived ingredients and will leave your locs feeling soft and looking amazing.
Note: This is not a permanent dye, so it will not result in as dramatic a color change as a permanent dye would. For this reason, this temporary hair color is best suited to going darker rather than lighter. Although, like others on our list, it’s fairly easy to use and doesn’t require the services of a professional hair colorist.
Benefits of Clairol Natural Instincts Demi-Permanent Dye
Clairol Natural Instincts is really in a class of its own when it comes to its unique formula. After putting it to the test, here are some of the main benefits this dye offers:
- The color can last up to 28 shampoos. Since most people with locs have a more relaxed hair cleansing routine, 28 shampoos equate to several months.
- The dye is ammonia free for gentle coloring and less damage after the dyeing process is done.
- The color is almost completely natural, a benefit that those with more holistic loc journeys will appreciate.
- There are no parabens in this color.
The back of the box includes the following information:
- Healthy-looking color that shines in only 20 minutes.
- With 80% naturally derived ingredients, this is a very gentle hair color formula.
- The product includes coconut oil and aloe vera but doesn’t include ammonia or added parabens.
- Lasts 28 shampoos and enhances your natural hair color.
- Blends away gray hair without a harsh root line.
- Color Cream: Aqua/Water/Eau, Propylene Glycol, Ethanolamine, 2-Methoxymethyl-P-Phenylenediamine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Resorcinol, 2-Methylresorcinol, Citric Acid, Parfum/Fragrance, Sodium Sulfite, Dicetyl Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Steareth-200, Xanthan Gum, M-Aminophenol, Sodium Hydroxide, Titanium Dioxide/(Ci 77891), Disodium Edta, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytoluene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydroxyethyl-3.4-Methylenedioxyaniline Hcl.
- Color Activator: Aqua/Water/Eau, Paraffinum Liquidum/Mineral Oil/Huile Minerale, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Salicylic Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Disodium Phosphate, Disodium Pyrophosphate, Sodium Stannate, Etidronic Acid.
- Brilliant Shine Conditioner: Aqua/Water/Eau, Bis-Hydroxy/Methoxy Amodimethicone, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Parfum/Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Benzyl Benzoate, Edta, Histidine, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Chloride, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Magnesium Nitrate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Bht, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Sulfite.
Our Final Thoughts
Having personally experimented with the Clairol Natural Instincts Demi-Permanent Hair Dye, we can confidently say it’s among the best commercial natural dyes on the market. Its gentle formula, comprising 80% naturally derived ingredients, not only respects your hair’s health but also provides a beautiful hair color.
The key nourishing ingredients like coconut oil and aloe vera demonstrate a commitment to the hair care community. As a demi-permanent colorant, it provides a nice balance between subtlety and boldness, making it the ideal choice for those seeking to darken their dreads while migrating damage.
While its longevity of up to 28 shampoos offers an extended color experience, its ease of application eliminates the need for a professional colorist.
3. Clairol Textures and Tones Permanent Hair Color
Clairol Textures and Tones has been around for many years, and over those years, the line has garnered a loyal following of women and men of color. The dye comes in 13 high-saturation shades, from blondes to browns to blacks to reds. The line allows black people the ability to change their hair color in less than an hour and without a ton of damage.
Benefits of Clairol Textures and Tones Permanent Hair Color
Clairol Textures and Tones hair color made it super easy to transform your hair color at home, but that’s not all that’s made the dye a go-to in the loc community. Based on our observations, here are some of the main benefits of the dye:
- The dye incorporates jojoba oil and 5 botanical extracts to nourish your strands as you color them.
- The color is ammonia-free, like the other dyes on our list, so it’ll change your loc hue without destroying your hair.
- The dye kit comes with just about everything you need to color your hair at home. You get the dye, the developer, the aftercare conditioner, instructions, and gloves. In addition, you’ll need Vaseline to prevent staining along your hairline.
- The dye provides long-lasting color results comparable to what you’d expect in the salon. Loc’d folks can enjoy their new color for months before it fades.
The back of the box includes the following information:
- Express Yourself: Textures & Tones ammonia-free permanent hair color helps bring out the best of your personal beauty – warm blondes, bold brunettes, and radiant reds. The moisture-drenched colors complement all hair textures and skin tones.
- Be Brillant: The anti-fade formula, with jojoba and five botanical extracts, gives vibrant shine and color that lasts.
- Be Resilient: The product includes Clairol Professional Intensive Moisturizing Conditioner for use on relaxed and natural hair that helps transform dry, damaged hair into healthy-looking hair that’s soft and manageable.
- Textures & Tones 6g Honey Blonde: Water, Propylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Ethanolamine, C11-15 Pareth-9, Soytrimonium Chloride, C12-15 Pareth-3, Ethoxydiglycol, Oleth-5, Oleth-2, Dilinoleic Acid, Fragrance, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Tall Oil Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Oleamide Mipa, Oleth-10, Sodium Sulfite, Edta, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Flower Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Myristica Fragrans (Nutmeg) Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract.
- Textures & Tones Developer: Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Acrylates Copolymer, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Ceteareth-20, Peg-75 Lanolin, Oleth-2, Oleth-10, Polysorbate 60, Etidronic Acid, Simethicone, Sorbitan Stearate, Peg-40 Stearate.
- Textures & Tones Blonde Booster: Potassium Persulfate, Sodium Silicate, Ammonium Persulfate, Silica, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Edta.
- Textures & Tones Conditioner: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Benzyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Edta, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.
Our Final Thoughts
As experienced users of Clairol’s Textures and Tones, we can wholeheartedly attest to its reputation and high ratings among the diverse loc community.
Our in-depth analysis of the product reveals that it owes this success to a blend of desirable benefits: the no-ammonia formula ensures gentleness, the jojoba, and botanical extracts nourish the hair during the coloring process, and the final shade longevity matches that of an expensive salon treatment.
We believe that anyone seeking a seamless, at-home color transformation will find this product the perfect ally, provided they adhere to the instructions and use it on healthy locs. We also love the fact that it was designed by African American stylists and specifically for women of color, thus demonstrating a commitment to inclusivity and understanding that sets it apart in the industry.
If you’re going to dye your locs at home, one of these dyes will give you the exact results you’re looking for. You won’t have to deal with the headache of a hair disaster either, so long as you follow the included directions and avoid coloring already-damaged locs.
Best Hair Color Shades for Dreadlocks
We’ve revealed some of the best dyes for locs; now it’s time to get into which hair color shades are best for locs. Spoiler: the right hair shade for you will depend mostly on your personal preferences.
However, there are some colors that tend to mesh better with locs than others.
- Black: We’ve all seen dark-colored locs, given that most people with locs are black, and our hair tends to take on a dark hue naturally. But when you take things a step further and color your hair black, you get a more saturated, lustrous version of your locs that evokes stares while you’re out and about. If you like the thought of changing your loc color but are looking for something simple, black is a great choice.
- Red: Red is one of the most eye-catching hair colors of all. So, if you’re looking to grab others’ attention, this might be the color for you. Just be aware that red dye fades much quicker than most other dyes. If you decide that red is your color, you’ll need to color your hair every month or so to keep it vibrant. Washed-out red isn’t considered a good look in all cases.
- Brown: The earthy, natural appeal of brown dye makes it a no-brainer when it comes to choosing a loc color. If you’re all about exuding a natural vibe, this color has your name all over it.
- Ginger. The ginger hue has been popping up all over our social media feeds, and we can’t help but love it. It’s a reddish-orange hue that pairs beautifully with dark skin. What’s great about ginger is that it’s not difficult to achieve – you can find ginger-like hair dyes in each of the dye lines we mentioned earlier. Though, the name of the shade won’t actually be “ginger.”
You’ll notice that blonde didn’t come up on our list of loc colors to try. Though honey blonde and other darker blondes can work on locs, many go for platinum blonde.
This super light shade of blonde can quickly ruin your hair, causing loc damage that’s difficult or impossible to repair. We urge you to go to a professional if you want to go light blonde.
So, there you have it–the best hair color for dreadlocks and the best hair color shades for dreadlocks. We hope you found this article helpful and that you’ll keep it in your back pocket as you’re planning for your next dreadlock hue. Good luck!
Kenneth Byrd, with a BS in Accounting and Management Information Systems and an MBA from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, has over 15 years of experience and is a recognized authority in hair care. Co-founder of Curl Centric® and Natural Hair Box, Kenneth has dedicated himself to promoting ethical and scientifically-backed hair care practices. Rigorous editorial guidelines, industry recognitions, and features in numerous media outlets evidence his expertise. Kenneth’s commitment to transparency, quality, and empowerment has positioned him as a trusted voice in the field, empowering readers to confidently embrace their natural beauty.