As far back as I can remember, the hair care market has always been full of controversial hair growth products, gimmicks, and methods that promise incredibly fast natural hair growth.
Over the years, the internet has greatly increased the number of “before and after photos” that show women who in one way or another have “grown” several inches of hair seemingly overnight.
If you’ve just done the big chop, or you feel like your hair isn’t growing fast enough, then you’ve probably searched for different ways to promote hair growth.
Through your research, you might have stumbled upon the claim that the inversion method can cause your hair to grow an inch just in one week!
Can that claim be valid?
Although most of us know that such fast hair growth is unrealistic, we still pay attention every time someone claims that their product or method can make your hair grow instantly (or faster).
In this article, we’ll go over all you need to know about the inversion method, including how to do it correctly, how often to do it, and how much hair growth you should expect.
Table of Contents
- What Is the Inversion Method?
- Gather Your Supplies
- How to Do the Inversion Method
- Can I Do the Inversion Method Without Oil?
- How Often Should You Do the Inversion Method?
- How Much Hair Growth to Expect
- Tips to Supplement the Inversion Method
- The Science Supports Increased Blood Flow for Hair Growth
- Using the Inversion Method for Hair Growth
- The Inversion Method: Results and Reviews
- Pros and Cons
- Dos and Don’ts
What Is the Inversion Method?
The inversion method is a haircare practice focusing on achieving an increased rate of hair growth. It requires you to invert your head and gently massage your scalp with natural oils.
The inversion method is based on the idea that blood flow is an important factor for consistent hair growth. Therefore, the inversion method aims to stimulate hair growth by increasing blood flow to your scalp.
The inversion method involves two primary steps: (1) massaging your scalp with an essential oil or carrier oil and (2) turning your head upside down for up to 4 minutes.
This method is supposed to help you gain up to four inches in hair growth.
Gather Your Supplies
For this hair growth method, very few supplies are needed. You will need some type of oil, such as jojoba oil, castor oil, peppermint oil, olive oil, or coconut oil. You can also purchase a hair growth oil product that contains a combination of oils and other nourishing ingredients.
Below are some great options:
- Camille Rose Naturals Cocoa Nibs & Honey Ultimate Growth Serum
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Hair Serum
- The Mane Choice Multi-Vitamin Scalp Nourishing Growth Oil
In addition, you will need a way to invert your head. You can do this by sitting in a chair with your head between your knees or hanging your head over the side of your bed.
Others have even inverted by doing handstands against a wall or using a fitness inversion table (hanging upside down), though these more extreme, complicated methods are unnecessary.
Lastly, you will need a timer or stopwatch to track how long you are doing each step.
How to Do the Inversion Method
Now that you’ve got your supplies, you’re ready to do the inversion method! Follow these steps to correctly complete the inversion method:
- Warm-up your oil of choice. The best way to do this is by running the container of oil under warm water in the sink or filling a bowl with warm water and allowing the container to sit in the water for several minutes. Make sure that the oil is warm but not hot. If it is too hot, you risk burning your scalp and even damaging your hair, both of which may have adverse effects on hair growth.
- Start a timer for 4 minutes.
- Add a few drops of oil to your fingertips and begin massaging your scalp in small circular motions. Continue massaging your entire scalp until the 4-minute timer is up. Add more oil as needed.
- When time is up, move onto the next half of the inversion method, which is inverting your head. Begin by starting another timer for 4 minutes.
- Hang your head upside down using one of the methods listed in the section above. Relax your neck and allow your hair to hang downwards until the time is up. *It is important to note that if you begin to feel any discomfort, such as a headache, dizziness, or nausea, you should slowly and carefully return yourself to an upright position.
- Once the 4-minute timer is up, you have completed the inversion method!
- It is recommended that you leave the oil on your scalp and wait to shampoo or co-wash for at least 2-3 hours after completing the inversion method.
- Repeat the previous steps each day for the rest of the week, or less often if you begin to experience minor headaches.
Can I Do the Inversion Method Without Oil?
You can do the inversion method without using oil, but it may not be as effective in promoting hair growth.
While there is little evidence that inverting your head will encourage hair growth, scalp massages with oil are proven to encourage hair growth and are arguably the most crucial part of this hair growth method.
Using oil in your hair care routine can be very helpful in your hair growth journey for several reasons:
- Some oils have clarifying properties, meaning they can unclog blocked hair follicles caused by product buildup.
- Oils contain nutrients that strengthen and nourish your hair strands.
- Possibly the most beneficial feature of oils is their moisturizing properties. Certain oils can soothe a dry or irritated scalp, moisturize your hair strands, or seal in moisture from other products such as leave-in conditioners.
If you choose to forgo oil when using the inversion method, you should still take the time to massage your scalp before inverting your head. Scalp massages stimulate blood flow, which is proven to encourage hair growth.
How Often Should You Do the Inversion Method?
It is important not to use the inversion method on a regular basis. If you use this hair growth method too often, your body could adjust to constantly being turned upside down, reducing the impact of the inversion method.
It is recommended that you only use the inversion method once per day for one week out of each month. Also, you should only turn upside down for a maximum of 4 minutes at a time. Any longer than this can cause headaches and increase the risk of other adverse health effects.
How Much Hair Growth to Expect
You may have heard the bold claim mentioned above that the inversion method can grow your hair one inch in just one week. Considering that the average rate of hair growth is a ½-inch per month or six inches per year, it is highly unlikely that these claims could be valid.
Not to mention that quick hair growth will most likely be unhealthy. This is because hair growth is a process that requires multiple steps and phases that are naturally meant to occur over an extended period. There aren’t any short cuts to create long hair.
There are few, if any, scientifically proven methods of increasing your rate of hair growth. Most hair growth remedies are meant to promote a normal rate of hair growth or help with regrowth following hair loss.
Additionally, some individuals naturally have faster rates of hair growth than others. This is based on genetics, age, and hair type, among other factors.
With that being said, there are also no scientific studies disproving the inversion method for hair growth. At the very least, the scalp massage portion of the process will most likely improve the overall health of your hair and promote hair growth.
So, if you are a healthy individual who can physically handle being in an inverted position for a few minutes a day, the inversion method may be worth a try.
When using the inversion method, you should not expect extreme hair growth results. In fact, you should be prepared for the possibility of no apparent change in hair growth at all.
How To Measure Hair Growth
If you want to measure the success of the inversion method for your hair growth, you can do so by doing a length check before and after using the inversion method. Here’s how:
- At the beginning of the week, stretch out one of your curls and use a tape measure to measure its length from root to end. Repeat this for several curls around your head – a few in the front and a few in the back. Write down your measurements.
- Do the inversion method each day for the rest of the week using the steps listed above.
- At the end of the week, repeat step 1. Compare the measurements from the beginning of the week to the end of the week to see if there has been a noticeable change in length.
Tips to Supplement the Inversion Method
If you are looking to promote hair growth through the inversion method, you should also ensure that you’ve included the following things in your daily lifestyle first:
- Consume a healthy, balanced diet that includes the recommended daily amounts of vitamins, nutrients, healthy fats, protein, and other nutrients.
- Drink adequate amounts of water each day. A commonly recommended amount is half of your body weight in ounces. So, if you weigh 140 pounds, you should drink 70 ounces of water each day. However, this can vary for each person, so you should find the right amount that makes your body feel hydrated.
- Maintain a regular hair care routine that includes washing, conditioning, deep conditioning, and moisturizing products.
These are all the basic necessities that will enable your hair and the rest of your body to be healthy, hydrated, and nourished. When incorporating these tips into your daily routine, you may notice a change in the health of your hair, skin, nails, and overall body, within a few weeks.
The Science Supports Increased Blood Flow for Hair Growth
1. Do Scalp Massages Enhance Hair Growth?
This method uses scalp massages to stimulate growth and even re-growth of lost hair. Research carried out on scalp massages have proven to help hair regrow in rats, although research has not substantiated the claim that the hair will grow faster – only grow or regrow.
Although the scientific data around scalp massages don’t yet fully substantiate hair growth in humans, due to the success seen in rats, it is believed that scalp massages stimulate hair growth. However, it is important to note that even in rats, the massages mostly stimulate normal growth and not faster growth.
2. Does the Inversion Method Work? Is the Inversion Method Safe?
Turning the head upside down is intended to increase blood flow to the scalp. The inversion method claims that this increased flow of blood will promote hair growth.
According to The Journal of Clinical Investigation (Feb. 2001, Volume 107, Number 4), pages 409-417, studies carried out in mice have shown if some blood vessels are blocked, hair growth decreases.
This would suggest that good blood flow (i.e., blood circulation) is important for hair growth. However, if you turn your head upside down, you can potentially cause your body to develop a number of health complications.
The risk of such complications is dependent on the individual. You should always consult a medical professional before you attempt to perform experimental hair care methods.
Using the Inversion Method for Hair Growth
Many women are searching for something new, a potential scientific hair growth breakthrough, despite the fact that the best hair growth methods are well documented.
There are many different factors that determine the speed of your hair growth, but the one that is most important is time. It sounds really simple, but there isn’t a substitute for just letting your hair grow.
Hair growth follows a very specific process, and for your hair to be healthy and look its best, that process must be carried out in full, and that process requires time.
Some people just naturally have hair that grows faster or slower than others. The good news is that regardless of your natural rate of hair growth, your hair is always in the process of growing on a 24-hour basis.
The Inversion Method: Results and Reviews
If you want to try the inversion method, the chances are that it won’t make any difference. The scalp massages will help promote hair growth, and scientific data tends to support this claim.
My recommendation would be to simply massage your scalp in a circular motion and avoid exposing yourself to potential complications associated with turning yourself upside down.
However, unlike some other hair growth methods, this one doesn’t cost much money. Additionally, it won’t take up too much of your time. If you choose to try it, make sure it does not affect your health in any negative way and consult with a medical professional.
No amount of hair growth can justify putting your well-being at risk. If you happen to get nauseous or dizzy during the process, slowly get yourself back upright to avoid injury.
Pros and Cons
If you’re unsure whether you should try the inversion method yourself, you should review this helpful list of pros and cons. They will help you decide whether the inversion method is suitable for you on your hair growth journey.
- Massaging your scalp and incorporating oil into your hair care routine are great ways to improve both scalp and hair health, which could promote hair growth.
- The inversion method requires very few supplies, so trying it out won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
- Both steps of the inversion method promote blood flow to the scalp, promoting hair growth, and could be especially helpful for individuals experiencing hair loss.
- The inversion method may not be suitable for individuals with the following conditions:
- Chronic headaches or migraines
- High blood pressure
- Chronic back pain or a spinal injury
- Heart disease
Conditions that may cause the inversion method to not be suitable for you are not limited to this list. If you have a physical injury or are immunocompromised in any way, the inversion method may not be right for you.
- Hair growth results from the inversion method can vary, and you may not achieve as much change in growth as you hope for.
- If you have trouble sticking to a routine, then remembering to complete the inversion method each day may be challenging for you.
Dos and Don’ts
Be sure to review the below list of “Dos and Don’ts” before beginning the inversion method. These tips and recommendations ensure the safety and effectiveness of the inversion method.
- Check with your healthcare provider if you’re unsure whether this hair growth method is safe for you. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Experiment with various oils to see which one makes your hair and scalp feel its best.
- Try out different methods of inverting your head to find what is most comfortable for you.
- Be consistent and repeat the inversion method every single day for one week to achieve the best results.
- Don’t stand up too quickly when you are done with the inversion step of the process. Slowly and carefully return to an upright position to avoid passing out.
- Don’t use the inversion method too often.
- Don’t invert your head for longer than your body can handle. If you are experiencing any pain or discomfort during the inverting portion of the inversion method, you should slowly return to an upright position. Also, don’t invert your head any longer than the suggested length of 4 minutes – it could become uncomfortable, and it won’t get you better results.
While the inversion method seems unlikely to achieve overnight hair growth, as some may claim, it could still be a valuable tool in your hair growth journey.
Studies show that blood pressure increases if you hang upside down, so please be careful with this method.
While we don’t attempt to provide medical advice, we do think several safety guidelines should be followed before attempting this method, including consulting a medical professional before you begin.
There are many ways to achieve healthy hair growth, so other methods (i.e., safer methods) might also help you achieve your desired results. Scientific evidence shows that scalp massages encourage hair growth.
Massages seem like an alternative solution that would allow you to relax in a comfortable position.
However, if you think the inversion technique just might work, try it for yourself to decide what you think! We hope that this article is helpful to you in your hair growth journey!