Revlon’s hair dryer brush has become something of a game changer. This versatile styling tool dries, smooths, volumizes, and straightens your hair, and it’s incredibly easy to use!
But how exactly are you supposed to clean it?
If you’re wondering how to keep your blow dryer brush squeaky clean, you’ve come to the right place! In this article, we’ll give you step-by-step instructions on how to clean a Revlon hair dryer brush properly.
Table of Contents
- 1 Here’s How to Clean a Revlon Hair Dryer Brush
- 2 What Happens If You Don’t Clean Your Revlon Hair Dryer Brush
- 3 Dos and Don’ts of Cleaning a Revlon Hair Dryer Brush
Here’s How to Clean a Revlon Hair Dryer Brush
Cleaning your Revlon hair dryer brush (i.e., Revlon hot brush) is a necessary part of regular maintenance. In addition to making your dryer brush look better, cleaning your tool often helps lengthen its lifespan.
It also keeps you and your hair safe from excess damage. Want to learn how to do it? We’ll break things down step by step below.
Gather Your Supplies
The first step to cleaning your Revlon hair dryer brush is grabbing everything you’re going to need. Make sure you gather the following materials before you start to clean your brush.
Remove the Hair
Revlon hair brushes have tough, rigid bristles that can trap shed hair. Before you clean your brush, try to remove as much of the trapped hair as you can.
While you’ll be able to pull some of them out with your fingers, you may need to cut the more stubborn strands with a pair of scissors. Using scissors is often easiest when you have long tangled hair stuck between the bristles.
Be careful not to bend the bristles out of shape by pulling too hard, and don’t worry if you can’t get all of the hair out.
This step is just about removing what you can. Some ladies have success by starting with a vacuum cleaner to remove hair clumps.
Prepare Your Cleaning Solution
Pour warm or hot water into your bowl until it’s about halfway full. Then, add a few drops of dish soap or your favorite deep cleaning shampoo. Mix your solution until it starts to bubble up.
Scrub Your Blow Dryer Brush
To prevent the likelihood of an electrical shock, double-check to make sure your hair dryer brush isn’t plugged in. Once you’re certain it’s safe, dip the barrel of your brush into the soapy water and swish it around.
During this step, be careful not to wet the cord or electrical components hidden in the base. After your brush is saturated, use a toothbrush to scrub the barrel and bristles.
Using firm but gentle pressure, rub your brush with small circular movements.
Pay extra attention to the areas surrounding the base of the bristles, as that’s where dust and grime can get stuck. Take your time and ensure each part of your dryer brush is pristine.
Once satisfied, rinse the barrel of your Revlon hair dryer brush with fresh water.
Wipe Down Your Brush
If you can, use a microfiber towel to wipe your brush dry. Microfiber towels don’t generate as much lint as regular towels and can help dry your brush in a fraction of the time.
Keep wiping until you’ve removed all visible soap residue and leftover grime. You also want to remove as much of the water as possible. That way, none of it drips into the motor.
Wait for Your Brush to Dry
Once your brush is squeaky clean, the only thing left is to wait for it to dry. Place your brush in an upright position and prop it up so it can stand on its own.
Try not to use it until it has a chance to dry completely, just in case some of the water accidentally leaks into the electrical components.
What Happens If You Don’t Clean Your Revlon Hair Dryer Brush
Now that you’re familiar with how to clean your Revlon dryer brush, let’s switch gears. Below, we’ll dive into some of the reasons why cleaning your brush regularly is so important.
- You create a fire hazard – The more clogged with dirt, dust, and leftover product your hair dryer brush is, the harder it has to work. That puts stress on the motor and makes your brush more likely to overheat. An overheated blow dryer brush creates a fire hazard, which can put the health and safety of you and the people close to you at risk. To prevent this, clean your hairbrush regularly.
- You may break your brush – Did you know that cleaning your hair dryer brush will help it last longer? As your brush gets clogged, hair and dirt can work their way into its delicate motor. That can cause it to overheat and burn out much more quickly than it would otherwise.
- It will make your hair dirty – Brushing your clean hair with an unclean brush means all that dust and grime will transfer onto your clean strands.
- It can damage your hair and scalp – A dirty hair dryer brush creates the perfect breeding ground for fungus and bacteria. Not regularly washing your Revlon hair dryer brush can expose you to organisms that lead to inflammation, irritation, and scalp disease. Growing fungus and bacteria can also make your Revlon brush smell.
- Your hair will look better – A clean hair dryer brush can smooth, straighten, and volumize your hair much more efficiently than one clogged up with gunk. Additionally, all of that grime can transfer to your hair and leave it looking greasy, dull, or dirty. By keeping your Revlon hair dryer brush clean, you can make sure that all of your blowouts come out looking gorgeous.
Dos and Don’ts of Cleaning a Revlon Hair Dryer Brush
In this section, we’ll look at some of the dos and don’ts of cleaning your Revlon hair dryer brush. Keep them in mind to ensure your hair stays healthy and that your Revlon hair dryer brush remains in perfect condition.
Failing to follow these dos and don’ts can prove to be dangerous.
- Do unplug your blowdryer brush before you attempt to clean it. Failing to do so can ruin your brush or result in electric shock.
- Do be careful not to cut the bristles with your scissors. Cut bristles will be sharp at the ends and may leave abrasions on your scalp the next time you use the brush.
- Do take the time to clean your Revlon hair dryer brush the right way. One mistake can ruin your brush.
- Do store your hair dryer brush properly to cut down on dust exposure.
- Do wipe down your blow dryer brush with rubbing alcohol if you want to sanitize it.
- Do clean your blowdryer brush at least two times a month, depending on how frequently you use it.
- Don’t pull so hard that you bend the bristles out of shape. A damaged brush will not straighten your hair, as well as an undamaged one, would.
- Don’t submerge your entire Revlon hair dryer brush in water, or you may damage the motor, rendering the unit unusable.
- Don’t use harsh cleaning agents to clean your hair dryer brush.
- Don’t use your blow dryer brush if it’s extremely dirty.
- Don’t forget to pay extra attention to the base of the brush’s bristles.
- Don’t apply sticky hair products before using your blowdryer brush. Doing so will make the brush dirty prematurely and increase your chances of transferring product buildup to your hair.
- Is the Dyson Airwrap Good for Your Hair?
- Good Blow Dryer for Natural Hair
- Best Blow Dryer for 4C Hair
- How to Clean Filter on Dyson Airwrap
So, there you have it! Cleaning your Revlon hair dryer brush can be a lengthy process. However, the benefits of cleaning it more than outweigh any of the downsides.
That said, we hope this article has answered all your questions about how to clean your Revlon hair dryer brush and provided you with the information you were looking for! Happy cleaning!
Kenneth Byrd holds a BS in Accounting and Management Information Systems and an MBA from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He is a serial hair blogger that has been writing about hair care since 2008, when he co-founded Curl Centric and Natural Hair Box. Curl Centric is a website operated by a husband and wife team that encourages healthy hair care.